Sunday, December 16, 2007

Silly Sam

(Samara dancing in crab costume at the Children's Museum)
So, I thought I'd share in Samara's randomness today. After yesterday's Santa comment, I started thinking about other things she's said recently, and as I was pondering that, I looked outside to check on the kids playing in the snow, and Sam is out there sticking her tongue to the basketball hoop pole. Bless this child!
She is so friendly and unapologetic about everything. She'll wear pink cowboy boots with just about anything, and a fluffy dress to gym class, if she so feels inclined. Below is a picture of her and her best bud of first grade, Darius. She towers over all the other first graders, and Darius is smaller than most of the preschoolers in the school. But they both have spunk coming out there ears!!! Sam and Kiah call him "mini-man from the hood". Don't even ask, since we live in a middle class suburb..... Anyway, it's comical to watch them play, and what's even better is that they don't notice, and don't care.

I was remembering back to our trip to Nauvoo, Ill. this summer. On the last day of our trip, we drove to Carthage Jail, where Joseph Smith was murdered. It's a solemn place, and the Spirit is very strong. Missionaries are there to give tours around the facility, and they show a movie about Joseph Smith. Well, our family went in and watched the movie, then when we came out of the show, there were missionaries, and other "churchy" looking people surrounding our little family. The sister missionary asked my kids what they liked about the movie. Kiah mentioned that she loved the part when Joseph gave a black member of the church his horse to sell, so he could get his sons freedom papers. Then the sister missionary asked Samara if she liked that part too. My lovely 6 year old says, "I was like, DAMN IT!, when I saw that part". The sister and I (and all who were in ear shot) were open-mouthed in shock. I quickly said, "Sammi, that's a swear word. What do you mean?" I was thinking she meant that it was really cool, or she didn't know what damn it meant, etc. So, she clarifies for us, "I was mad because I wanted him to give me his horse, instead. I like horses." Yeah, she used the word in context. Of course, the reflection on me, as a parent, is pitiful at that point. She must hear that often to talk that kind of trash was most likely the consensus opinion in that room. I was mortified. Skip to the actual tour of the building where he was martyred...... The missionaries were talking about prayer, and asked if we pray. Sam pipes in, "We sometimes pray, when mom's not too tired or we aren't in a hurry." Thanks, turkey! Now, I pray, numerous times daily with my children, and every once in a while, at bedtime, when there's major fits going on, I opt out. But it's rare. But to this sister, I've now become in-active member number one. Ugh! Gotta love that girl!

Anyway, I could fill up pages and pages of random Samara stories, but my fingers are getting tired. So, I'm going to go cuddle up with my kids (we're snowed in today), and watch the polar express, while my honey takes a nap upstairs. It doesn't get any better than this.

2 comments:

Cecily R said...

That kid makes me LAUGH! I'd love it if you filled pages and pages with Sam stories!!!

Kelly said...

I'm reading all of these posts and I miss you all so much! We had such a great time with you and we have to do it again! I hope all is well with you and have a great Christmas! We love you!!